[openbox] openbox/lxde and empty QT windows

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Tue May 7 01:40:28 EDT 2013

> This is Qt-4.8.2 under xorg-7.5.2/openbox-3.5.0, the system is FreeBSD
> 9.1-PRERELEASE/amd64. No compositing managers are running that I'm aware of.
> This issue is happening at some point with any Qt window (konsole menus,
> psi chat windows (btw 'kont' is just a man from the psi roster), cantata
> menus - i.e. any part of Qt windows). They may behave differently - for
> example windows where openbox draws some borders, like psi chat windows
> - they appear like on the screenshot. And the windows where openbox has
> nothing to draw (I mean - borders, caption) - they do not appear at all,
> however, their elements can be interacted with, for example you can
> blindly choose some menu options with a mouse (you don't see them, but
> if you know where they will appear - you can switch them). I was trying
> to understand what's happening by runnig xrestop, but seems I just don't
> know how to interpret it's output. This issue can be partially resolved
> by closing some of the Qt applications, but after some time it appears
> again. Last time after 10 days of running some of my konsoles just
> crashed at some point - from this moment I don't see empty windows. But
> I'm pretty sure this is temporary, because I've seen it before.

I am baffled. The fact that you can still interact with the window is
*also* a symptom of Java swing apps. But if you have an up-to-date
Konsole (and your version info confirms that) and it's still
happening, then that is odd.

Here are some threads to pull. I'm not at all confident that any will
lead to anything fruitful:

- xrestop is useless here. Maybe useful for a toolkit dev, but not for
a user debugging on their own.

- Try experimenting more with the number of windows you have open.
Start with a clean environment and try to re-create the problem by
opening N Qt windows. When that happens, see if you can get back to
normal by removing windows.

- If you can do the above, try experimenting with different kinds of
apps. Can you reproduce with just Konsole windows?

- Try opening lots of windows that use GTK and see if you can
reproduce the problem.

- Try older versions of konsole/qt/Psi if possible.

- File a bug against Qt (or try to find an IRC channel). Use data
gathered from above.

- Try a different window manager, e.g., Fluxbox, fvwm, etc. (There's a
slim chance Openbox is the culprit, but it's unlikely...)

- Andrew