[openbox] openbox/lxde and empty QT windows

Eugene M. Zheganin eugene at zhegan.in
Tue May 7 01:27:42 EDT 2013

Hi.

On 07.05.2013 11:07, Andrew Gallant wrote:
> Could you please provide more information?
>
> - What version of Qt is `kont` using?
> - Is this happening with other Qt windows? Or just `kont`?
> - What version of Openbox?
> - What version of X?
> - Any compositing managers running?
>
> I've only seen the kind of behavior you're experiencing in
> applications using some variant of Java swing, so I am quite puzzled
> to see this from Qt.

This is Qt-4.8.2 under xorg-7.5.2/openbox-3.5.0, the system is FreeBSD
9.1-PRERELEASE/amd64. No compositing managers are running that I'm aware of.
This issue is happening at some point with any Qt window (konsole menus,
psi chat windows (btw 'kont' is just a man from the psi roster), cantata
menus - i.e. any part of Qt windows). They may behave differently - for
example windows where openbox draws some borders, like psi chat windows
- they appear like on the screenshot. And the windows where openbox has
nothing to draw (I mean - borders, caption) - they do not appear at all,
however, their elements can be interacted with, for example you can
blindly choose some menu options with a mouse (you don't see them, but
if you know where they will appear - you can switch them). I was trying
to understand what's happening by runnig xrestop, but seems I just don't
know how to interpret it's output. This issue can be partially resolved
by closing some of the Qt applications, but after some time it appears
again. Last time after 10 days of running some of my konsoles just
crashed at some point - from this moment I don't see empty windows. But
I'm pretty sure this is temporary, because I've seen it before.

I was using KDE before LXDE/openbox (like, for years). But the thing is,
on KDE 4.8.x my X server started to leak memory, and it seems like KDE
was making it doing this. After I switched to LXDE X is fine (doesn't
leak at all), but I have this issue with Qt windows.

Thanks.
Eugene.