[openbox] Does Or Can Openbox Affect The Output of -- echo -e "a\nb\nc\nA\nB\nC" | sort

Das dasfox at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 16:44:55 EDT 2013

Seems odd someone would need to set this, I'm assuming this is already set
automatically on most distros durining the installation?

I'm running Slack and it uses; /etc/profile.d/lang.sh as far as I can tell
it's already set properly...

#!/bin/sh
# Set the system locale.  (no, we don't have a menu for this ;-)
# For a list of locales which are supported by this machine, type:
#   locale -a

# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
export LANG=en_US

# 'C' is the old Slackware (and UNIX) default, which is 127-bit
# ASCII with a charmap setting of ANSI_X3.4-1968.  These days,
# it's better to use en_US or another modern $LANG setting to
# support extended character sets.
#export LANG=C

# There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
# some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
# run properly.  In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
# starting them.  Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
#export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

# Another option for en_US:
#export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

# One side effect of the newer locales is that the sort order
# is no longer according to ASCII values, so the sort order will
# change in many places.  Since this isn't usually expected and
# can break scripts, we'll stick with traditional ASCII sorting.
# If you'd prefer the sort algorithm that goes with your $LANG
# setting, comment this out.
export LC_COLLATE=C

# End of /etc/profile.d/lang.sh