[openbox] Fighting Gnome

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Jul 9 02:18:48 EDT 2013

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 21:29:49 +0200
Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:

> What would be a good companion for OpenBox? Xfce? Lxde? Cinnamon?
> Mate?

+1 for running openbox standalone without any "integrated desktop".

For a terminal emulator, I use rxvt-unicode.  It still handles
right-click properly (ie. extends selection by words, no stinking
property menus lol).

For a file manager, ditto :)  Or, once in a blue moon, gentoo (the
program, not the distro).

Sound: I find that ALSA with the dmix sink works just fine.  Don't
really know what people (Lennart .. cough .. Lennart) mean when they say
it doesn't.  Perhaps they watch movies and DVDs, which I don't.

Disks: udisks is an abomination.  Please see the "supporting dynamically
mounted devices" thread, especially my posts therein :)