[openbox] question on window size

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sun Feb 24 14:38:03 EST 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:13:18 -0700
Fred <fred at blakemfg.com> wrote:

Fred> Hi Ian, In your previous post you show the output of dpkg --status
Fred> openbox.  The version shown is: 3.3.5.0-4+leastoverlap2.  Is this
Fred> actually 3.5?

No.  It is 3:3.5.0-4+leastoverlap2.  Note the colon and search debian
packaging documentation for "epoch".

Fred> The documentation for openbox configuration under titleLayout
Fred> shows a function for iconify.  The horizontal line on the title
Fred> bar does something which implies the window was supposed to be
Fred> iconified.  What is this actually supposed to do?

It is similar to "hide" in more traditional window managers, I guess.
The window has no visual representation but it still exists in the
window list.

Fred> In your reply above you mention window switching.  If one attempts
Fred> to iconify a window by clicking the horizontal bar the app does
Fred> not appear in another window (desktop).  It is gone somewhere that
Fred> does not appear to be accessible.

I mean switching to the window with Alt-Tab or its configured
equivalent.  That should be possible even after the window is
iconified.  Is that the case or not?

Fred> Perhaps whatever the horizontal bar does should be disabled in the
Fred> software so it doesn't become a trap for the user.

There _are_ other window managers which treat iconification the same way
(notably Sawfish), so I disagree that this is somehow a uniquely
dangerous attribute of Openbox.

Fred> I don't understand how the window menu applies to this problem.

I mean the "window list" menu, not the "window operations" menu.  You
get the window list menu by right-clicking on the desktop (on my system,
I think that is configurable).  The iconified windows are present in the
window menu (grayed), and by selecting one you can restore it to normal
visible state.