[openbox] auto-starting xscreensaver

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 05:40:20 EST 2013

On 16/02/13 00:46, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 02:08:44PM +1100, Robbie Smith wrote:
>> On 15/02/13 03:49, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>>>
>> The simplest (though non-XDG) way is to edit
>> ~/.config/openbox/autostart and add the following two lines:
>>
>> xscreensaver-command -exit &
>> xscreensaver -no-splash &
>>
>> The first kills a running instance (such as when you log out and log
>> back in), and the second starts a new one.
>
> Thanks for this suggestion.
>
> Actually XDG scripts were not being executed because I used
>
> 'exec openbox'
>
> instead of
>
> 'exec openbox-session'
>
> in my ~/.xsession file. However this raises another question: I use this
> line in my ~/.xsession file to set the background:
>
> xli -quiet -onroot ~/img/${HOSTNAME}.jpg
>
> as I have a collection of images for each of my computers. The problem
> is that 'openbox-session' resets the background to a solid color whereas
> 'openbox' does not. And there is no expansion of ${HOSTNAME} in
> ~/.config/openbox/autostart
>
> Is there a way around this?

You can have different things in different initialisation files. My
autostart file is fairly sparse; I’ve also got some scripts loaded in
~/.xprofile and ~/.xsession that are sourced by my login manager (LXDM).
So I configure tmux sessions and keyboard settings there as they are
WM/DE-independent.

My login process proceeds as follows:

LXDM sources its Xsession, which in turn sources /etc/profile,
~/.profile, /etc/xprofile and ~/.xprofile, if they exist. After that, it
starts Openbox, which sources its autostart, environment and rc.xml files.

How are you starting X?