[openbox] Pipe-menu refresh

Matías Gastón Mdq matiasbatero.mdq at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:08:54 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm developing a "CD/DVD creator-burning software" like k3b, brasero but
only supports Data disks, and it's designed to be used on openbox, so the
99% of the main UI are made with some complex pipe-menus. All works fine
but...

Openbox seems that when a user open the main menu, and then open a
pipe-menu.. Openbox launchs a script only one time, until the entire menu
is re-started by the user when he right-clicking again.
The first load of the script output is saved on some "cache", so if the
user didn't reloaded the menu and then opens the pipe-menu again, the
results are readed from that cache, and aren't readed from the second
script execution.

I prove this with 2 methods:
Running a script
Running a veeery slow pipe-menu script.
(Here, the first launch of the pipe-menu  is very slow, and then the
results are instantaneous without closing the entire menu)
Why is the problem with that?
In my program i use the [hold ctrl + click] feature to set values clicking
on items from a pipe-menu. So the new values are assigned without closing
the menu, beacuse is comfortable for the user. And then a "resume menu"
shows the values of the value properties. The problem is that the pipe-menu
doesn't show the refreshed values...

I don't know about C programming, but i commented some line of the menu.c
file, and it works partially. It shows the OLD entries.. and the NEW
entries.. but i can't continue..  it's necessary eliminate the old entries.

Sorry for my english, i do the best i can

Best regards!
Matias G.S.