[openbox] menu.xml - I thought It Only Had One Format/Standard?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Mon Aug 12 14:00:47 EDT 2013

Dave Foster wrote:

>The <menu> tag is used in two ways: the first is to define the menu itself.  This is the "large block" form -
>
><menu id="some-id" label="My Menu>
>	<item label="blablla"...
></menu>
>
>The second way it is used is to include a named menu inside of another menu.  For example, if you wanted this menu we just defined to be a submenu off of your root menu, inside your root menu definition, you'd have:
>
><menu id="root-menu" label="Openbox">
> 	<menu id="some-id" />
></menu>

This is all that you need to understand the problem and the previous solution.

>I recommend you paste your EXACT and FULL menu.xml, either in email, or via gist.github.com, or whatever.  This is the only way we're going to be able to figure out your issue with the menu syntax.

And if you had done this several posts ago then someone could have clearly
shown you exactly where the problem is.

Das wrote:

>I think you need to LOOK HARDER at the menu.xml in the source

I think you need to take the time to try to understand the replies that you get
when people try to help you. I also think that you need to put more effort into
formulating your questions and providing the requested and relevant information
when seeking help. That fact that you have mixed up ID tags, posted an
irrelevant file rather than the one that you changed, and failed to provide
full context even after several posts indicates that you are careless. If you
can't even make the effort to ask the question correctly, then you definitely
shouldn't be telling people who provide correct answers that they need to do
more.

Everything so far indicates that this is a PEBKAC. Take the time to go over
everything slowly and carefully and you will have your solution.

Regards,
Xyne