[openbox] Pidgin Dialog Placement

Paul openboxml023478 at rainslide.net
Wed Mar 7 11:45:50 EST 2012

I don't know why, but it seems that all windows of class='Pidgin', type='dialog', open up at the top right of my screen, where I keep the main Pidgin window (sometimes iconised). Its conversation windows (role='conversation') don't do this, they open up according to my <placement><policy> setting, which is 'Smart'. To alleviate that frustration, I've told Openbox to open up all Pidgin 'dialog' windows in the centre of the screen. That's a little bit better than always at the top right, but still, all such windows open on top of each other, naturally.

Is there a way to tell specific windows to open up not in a fixed position (<x>/<y>) or 'center', but to force them to follow the default placement policy?

I'm not running the Gnome desktop environment, just Openbox on its own.

--

.