[openbox] urxvt maximized

Brian Mattern rephorm at rephorm.com
Wed Jan 4 15:30:14 EST 2012

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>>

> > Could you explain what the actual problem is? xterm behaves the same
> > as urxvt for me, ie, any line or column that cannot fully fit a cell
> > is left empty and unused.
> >
> http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jalmeida/urxvt_max.png
> http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jalmeida/xterm_max.png
> http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jalmeida/nomax.png
>
> The first picture shows the obnoxious dark blue strip at the bottom, the
> second doesn't. Both have a regular blue strip that is vim-specific, and
> has nothing to do with this. In bash, writing at the bottom of the
> maximized urxvt window means writing just above the dark blue strip,
> which is annoying. The third shows non-maximized windows, with the
> expected behavior.
>
> Of course, this problem may not be related to openbox at all...

It looks like when maximized, openbox forces the window to be the actual
size of the 'maximized' region, instead of respecting its request to
only be multiples of a given size. So, this leaves a space at the bottom
of the window that rxvt cannot use.

Maybe openbox should be changed to respect size increments when
maximizing a window? (i.e., make it the largest multiple of the
increment that is smaller than the available space)

Brian