[openbox] ignore client requested coordinates?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat Aug 20 12:37:59 EDT 2011

Ian> I have an app that tries to remember its last screen position and
Ian> reappear at the same place, but in this case that is quite unwanted.
Ian> How can I make openbox ignore that request and apply the regular
Ian> placement algorithm?

Paul> From the example rc.xml that comes with Openbox:

Paul> <position force="no">
Paul> # the position is only used if both an x and y coordinate are provided
Paul> # (and not set to 'default')
Paul> # when force is "yes", then the window will be placed here even if it
Paul> # says you want it placed elsewhere.    this is to override buggy
Paul> # applications who refuse to behave
Paul> <x>center</x>
Paul> # a number like 50, or 'center' to center on screen. use a negative number
Paul> # to start from the right (or bottom for <y>), ie -50 is 50 pixels from the
Paul> # right edge (or bottom).
Paul> <y>200</y>
Paul> <monitor>1</monitor>
Paul> # specifies the monitor in a xinerama setup.
Paul> # 1 is the first head, or 'mouse' for wherever the mouse is
Paul> </position>

Well, I saw that ;-) It doesn't really say how to do what I wrote,
though.  Should I use "default" for both x and y?

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD