[openbox] Openbox Multihead (featuring per-monitor desktops)

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:29:44 EDT 2011

After a week of hacking, I've turn Openbox's desktop model from "one
and only desktop visible at a time" to "one desktop visible for each
monitor activated." This creates the ability to switch desktops
*independent* of monitor; and any desktop can appear on any monitor.
I've called it openbox-multihead. [1]

Unfortunately, this breaks the EWMH spec and results in any pager
becoming *almost* useless. (They will still work, but will probably
confuse you.) To temporarily remedy this, I've include a small Python
script 'ob-visible-desks' in the tools directory that will output a
simple text based representation of the available desktops (grouped
into four different visual categories using position/color: current,
visible, hidden with windows and hidden without windows). It should be
used with something like xmobar or dzen2.

I've added several configuration options and a desktop list menu.
These are described in more detail in README.MULTIHEAD. [2]

I've never done anything like this with an existing open source
project, but right now, I'm thinking my plans are this:

- Keep my multihead branch of Openbox up to date with Dana's master branch.

- Continue to develop features that improve on multihead functionality.

- Develop a pager that works with this new desktop model.

- Get omnipresent clients working better. (Docks and the like work
fine, though. It's only the normal clients that are giving me some
focus issues.)

I'm open to suggestions!

Also, if anyone is on Archlinux [3], I've put this in the AUR. [4]

- Andrew

[1] - https://github.com/BurntSushi/openbox-multihead
[2] - https://github.com/BurntSushi/openbox-multihead/blob/multihead/README.MULTIHEAD
[3] - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124331