[openbox] openbox vs. fluxbox

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Tue Mar 30 21:53:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:53:54 +0200
Christian Stuck <openbox at cstuck.ath.cx> wrote:

| On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:38:01PM +1000, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
| >
| > I re-designed this myself.
| >
| > I did not want raise on clicks within the window.
| > But did what it on a click in border or title, or 'Alt-click' in window.
| > You can grab the <mouse> section form my RC file...
| >
| >    http://www.cit.griffith.edu.au/~anthony/public/anthonys_openbox_rc_xml.asis
| >

| Awesome, that's exactly what I want. Unfortunatly it does not work for
| me :(
| Don't see why so far.
|
| I added the following block to my rc-file
|
| !--
|   Main Client window, just focus on any mouse clicks, do not raise
|   -->
||   <context name="Client">
||   <mousebind button="Left" action="Press">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
||   <mousebind button="Middle" action="Press">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
||   <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
||   <mousebind button="Left" action="Release">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
||   <mousebind button="Middle" action="Release">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
||   <mousebind button="Right" action="Release">
|   <action name="Focus"/>
|   </mousebind>
|   </context>
||   <!--
|     Main Client window, Alt mouse do raise with window move/resize
|     -->
|
| Is there anything else I have to look for? I checked the Focus-section
| but did not see any problem, even though I have some things a bit
| different like focusLast=yes and underMouse=no and focusNew=yes but that
| should not change anything

Make sure you 'reconfigure' or restart your openbox after modifications.

Any event in the actual client window are will be handled by BOTH..
  <context name="Client">   and  <context name="Frame">

make sure you remove any unwanted raise parts from BOTH.

Frame is the more global, and I have now modified my rc file to
put that first, the 'Client' second.

Note anything you remove from the global 'Frame' may have to be put in
the individual titlebar and border contexts.  So if you still want raise
if you click on titlebar and borders you need to add them to those
contexts, which is what I have in my RC file (see link above).

It may be that by placing all event you globally want in "Frame' you
need no event handling at all in the 'Client' context.  However a 'Focus'
event is a good place holder event that does not hurt, which is why I
have them present in the "Client" context.

I suggest you copy all the mouse events section (mine or the origina RC)
and then slowly modify them to suit.  Be prepared to jump to a text
console or ssh from a remote machine, if something goes wrong!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>