[openbox] Strange desktop changing behaviour

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Mon Mar 29 20:39:48 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 04:25:23AM EDT, Andreas Fink wrote:
> Hello,
>
> here's my situation:
> I have pidgin opened on desktop "2", and do my usual work on desktop "1". If I click the pidgin icon in the systray nothing
> happens (i.e. although a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is sent, the desktop does not change).
> If however on desktop "1" is no active window, the desktop changes to desktop "2" and the pidgin window is activated. Can I
> change openbox to always change the desktop on _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, even if there is an active window on the desktop I'm
> currently working on?

Due to a long-standing problem with firefox and other applications,
Openbox does not switch desktops when an app requests to be activated.
 The app is more than capable of switching desktops itself though.

The behaviour described is really inconsistent though, it should not
switch desktops in either case, unless Pidgin is sending different
messages.  I've fixed that in git and it will be in the next release.
This behaviour is the same as in GNOME's metacity, which is
(unfortunately) considered the standard in most cases.  Since the
majority of apps expect the WM to not switch desktops, I have decided
to choose that side.

Dana