[openbox] openbox vs. fluxbox

openbox at cstuck.ath.cx openbox at cstuck.ath.cx
Mon Mar 29 14:29:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

I recently switched from fluxbox to openbox - mostly because fluxbox does not recognize my "arrow-up" key any more - no clue why.
I really enjoy using openbox bc it has nice features I miss in fluxbox.

BUT:
There are really great features in fluxbox I absolutely miss in openbox!
Maybe other people can agree and might want to work on that in the future.
I guess some should not be so hard to implement.

1) Focus model: Bot WM can set the focus model to "floppy-mouse" so the focus stays under the mouse when another window appears underneath it. The nice thing in fluxbox at this point is that I can tell it not to raise the window, once I clicked in it - which is really nice when you have a terminal in front of your web browser, want to select something without the terminal to disappear... only to show one example

2) Transparency: Every now and then I turn on transparency with xcompmgr and use transset to change it on the fly. In fluxbox I can set a general setting for transparency for focused and unfocused windows. This way all unfocused windows can be set to low opacity. Once your mouse moves over another window, it appears and the old one gets the unfocused transparency. This gives me a good overview of the windows I have open and other cool features.

2b) Also can I set transparency for the menu in fluxbox

3) It is possible to shade windows. On fluxbox I could set shaded windows to unshade, when the mouse is over their titlebar and go back to shade when the mouse leaves the window.

4) It is nice to set window specific settings in openbox. Fluxbox has also the option to save the current window settings so when I set a window to save it's position and close it, it will appear at the same position again when I reopen it - of course only when I set the "save window settings on close" option.

I know that openbox is not that far away from fluxbox since they both came out of blackbox, right?
So there might be a way to combine the cool features of openbox with some of fluxbox? A response would be awesome!

Cheers

Christian

ps: please don't start a general discussion which WM is the better one ;)