[openbox] Logging out of Openbox

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Thu Feb 4 13:15:40 EST 2010

<snip>

> So, after a bit more work, it turns out it's not the start_kdeinit stuff
> per se, that's just what came with the default installation.  If I
> comment out my entire autostart.sh, and put in something like xterm &, I
> then cannot Log Out until I kill xterm.
>
> I am completely stuck now, hopefully something will occur to me over lunch!

It did.  I am one of those annoying people who left out an important
detail that I never considered relevant.

On my desk, I have a thin client that is configured to connect to an
ancient version of Solaris, and I did not deem it worth my time to try
to get openbox to compile on this machine.  So I compiled it on a
comparatively new Linux server installation, and have as the last line
of my .xinitrc:

ssh -Y linux-server openbox-session

(the -Y option enables X forwarding on this version of ssh)

So, of course any programs that start over the X-forwarded ssh
connection will have to be terminated before ssh returns, including
anything I start up in autostart.sh.

I will just have to come up with a script that will kill all X-forwarded
apps before attempting to exit, or just do it myself.  That's probably
not too bad since the list of applications that will be X-forwarded are
pretty predictable in my case (the dock apps, panel stuff, etc.).

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a way to tell ssh to
return after openbox has finished, regardless of other X-forwarded
prorgrams running, but I really doubt it.

Well, at least I know that this has nothing to do with openbox per se!
Thanks, and sorry for suggesting symptoms as the problem instead of the
cause!

Erik