[openbox] openbox vs. fluxbox

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Tue Apr 6 02:00:26 EDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:46:12 +0100 (BST)
Freddie <freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

| On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Christian wrote:
|
| > OK, speaking of this, I have a question about this rc.xml
| > I used this file to save some applications settings that work just fine.
| > Now I wanted to add a rule for my webbrowser to appear on Desktop 2 just the way I did it for other programs and
| > +Desktop 3.
| >
| > I even copied the code and just replaced the application - without success.
| >
| > xprop gives me these info about the window - I thought I should identify it via role and/or class:
| >
| > WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
| > WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Iceweasel"
| >
| > my rc.xml looks like that:
| >
| > <application cole="browser">
| >       <desktop>2</desktop>
| > </application>
| >

| > reconfigure/restart of openbox does not help - what am I missing here?
|
| The point you're missing is that Firefox is a pain in the <cough>. It
| launches with one name and class and then changes it soon after (hence the
| name and class xprop reports not working), I can't say about role as I've
| never successfully used it with firefox.
|
| In my rc.xml
|
| <application class="Firefox*">
|    <desktop>3</desktop>
| </application>
|
| works to catch it and put it on desktop three and
|
| <application class="Firefox*" name="Navigator">
|    <maximized>yes</maximized>
|    <focus>no</focus>
| </application>
|
| catches the main window (along with a few others).
|
| If you find out the role tag of the main window let me know.
|
| Freddie

I myself will use OpenBox to place applications that MUST always open
on other desktops. But More often than not what I really want is
to only place the initial application lauch (on startup) on a specific
desktop, but allow me to move and let it open windows on other desktops.

Because of this some applications are launched from my startup script
followed by some code to look for the applications window and them
modify that window appropriately.

So the first real question is what form of placement you want?
Place on startup launch only, or alway place no matter when (or how) it
is started.

You may like to look at the shell script 'xwin_find'
   http://www.cit.griffith.edu.au/~anthony/software/#xwin_find

This looks for and returns the window ID for other programs like xwit
and wmctrl to use.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>