[openbox] openbox vs. fluxbox

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 09:56:40 EDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Freddie wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Christian wrote:
>
>>  OK, speaking of this, I have a question about this rc.xml
>>  I used this file to save some applications settings that work just fine.
>>  Now I wanted to add a rule for my webbrowser to appear on Desktop 2 just
>>  the way I did it for other programs and
>>  +Desktop 3.
>>
>>  I even copied the code and just replaced the application - without
>>  success.
>>
>>  xprop gives me these info about the window - I thought I should identify
>>  it via role and/or class:
>>
>>  WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
>>  WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Iceweasel"
>>
>>  my rc.xml looks like that:
>>
>>  <application cole="browser">
>>        <desktop>2</desktop>
>>  </application>
>>

>>  reconfigure/restart of openbox does not help - what am I missing here?
>
> The point you're missing is that Firefox is a pain in the <cough>. It
> launches with one name and class and then changes it soon after (hence the
> name and class xprop reports not working), I can't say about role as I've
> never successfully used it with firefox.
[...]
> If you find out the role tag of the main window let me know.

Note that in newer openbox releases, there are three properties set on all
windows as they map containing the name, class and role as they were when
the window mapped, and also the window type.

_OB_APP_TYPE(UTF8_STRING) = normal
_OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = Firefox
_OB_APP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = firefox
_OB_APP_ROLE(UTF8_STRING) = browser