[openbox] Making openbox to start new windows on parent desktop.

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Thu Oct 22 03:25:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:18:46 +0200
Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser at gmail.com> wrote:

| Hi! I have problem with setting openbox, there is possible to set that
| new windows start on parent-window desktop? For example, when I on
| desktop3 open terminal and type "sleep 5 && audacious", ran it and
| switch to desktop1 audacious will start on desktop3 but not on
| desktop1? With firefox I have configured to start always on desktop2
| and every dialog window, file save prompt etc are only on desktop2,
| even when I on other desktop.
|
| I hope you can understand me.

There are a number of ways and which way depends on how you use openbox.

I for example have it set as the windowmanager for Gnome.
For other clients I asked gnome to run a 'client startup script' from
the 'session Preferences.

  Name: Personal Session
  Command:  bash .xgnome.extra
  Comment:  Start some extra applications

The ".xgnome.extra" file then starts my initial xterm windows
(I am a programmer!)  firefox, with default geometry and uses 'xwit'
to auto-iconify it once launched,  my mail program,  etc...

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>