[openbox] Using screen size in key bindings

John openbox at jelmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:54:42 EDT 2009

Mikael Magnusson wrote:

>> I want the same thing, but some people cope by replacing openbox with a
>> script that first computes an rc.xml and then starts openbox.

Yes, I've read that and I think that I will do that. Do you know if
there is a better way of determining screen size than using a
combination of xwininfo, grep and awk ( as in xwininfo -root | grep
Height | awk '{print $2}' ) ?
> The problem is before you know it, you have an arithmetic interpreter
> and kitchen sink in the config parser, and then people want to be able
> to say screen_size/3 + 5 - if today is thursday: 3. We have "center"
> for now, but nothing more. I guess the simplest and most useful thing
> we could do that doesn't mess things up is allow you to say 53.42% or so?

Well I think limiting it to obtaining some generally useful values (like
screen size dimensions) and allowing a basic integer multiplier or
divisor would not be too "kitchen sink". I agree a full blown expression
evaluator would be a step too far.