[openbox] Re: Closing decoration windows

Delcides F. Sousa Jr delcides at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:06:42 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Knute <knuteh at yahoo.com> wrote:

>><snip>
>>   Well, it doesn't work here.  I checked the
>> "border retention" option
>> on obconf and tried to customize xterm, using:
>>
>> <application class="XTerm">
>>       <decor>
>>         <titlebar>no</titlebar>
>>         <borders>no</borders>
>>       </decor>
>> </application>
>>
>>  It didn't work and according to Openbox docs, it
>> wasn't supposed to. :-)
>>

> Basically, what you have there is <decor>no</decor>
>
> If that you meant by it doesn't work is that there was no titlebar and no borders, then it did work like you told it to.

    I tried it both ways: first, border retention uncheck - as it
seems to be your case - used <borders>yes</borders> to give xterm a
border when undecorated. It didn't work.
    Then I checked border retention and I meant to have *only* xterm
without a border. It didn't work because it retained the border from
the general conf. I wanted to use the option to customize border
appearance on a case-by-case basis, but as you can see from Mikael
Magnusson's message on this thread, <decor></decor> is not supposed to
have further options. It's just yes or no.

>>  So, would you mind telling what's your version and
>> patch ?
>
> I run gentoo, so I'll cut and paste the paludis output for it.
>
> ******* Begin copy and paste ******

<snip>

>  8:08AM % openbox --version                                          ~ (knute)
> Openbox 3.4.8-rc1
> Copyright (c) 2008        Mikael Magnusson
> Copyright (c) 2003-2006   Dana Jansens

<snip>

> Not exactly sure what other info that you are looking for.   Though,  I have been using that combo for quite sometime, so it isn't new.
> Actually,  if I remember right, it was before the menu x and y options came out for the menu offsets.
>
> HTH,
> Knute

I run 3.4.7.2 and since the developer himself says your customization
shouldn't exist, I suspect it was patched by gentoo. :-)
Although not a must-have, it would a nice addition to mainline Openbox.

Cheers,
Delcides.