[openbox] Openbox + composite recommendations?

David Barr david at chalkskeletons.com
Fri Dec 18 06:07:20 EST 2009

Dana Jansens wrote:
> 2009/12/17 Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com>:
>
>>  Does anyone have a recommendation for using compositing with openbox?
>> I'm currently using xcompmgr (just started a fortnight ago), and while it's
>> great just off the bat, on my home PC I find it starts slugging everything
>> after a day or so and I have to restart it (xcompmgr;  I'm using a pipe-menu
>> I found on the Net for that).
>>
>>  I know that xcompmgr has a bit of a reputation is this respect (although
>> I'm not suffering at all on my more powerful PC at work;  may be the cheap
>> nvidia card I have at home), but the only alternative I could see (without
>> binning openbox, which I don't want to do) was cairo-compmgr, and that seems
>> to be bit-rotting.
>>

> You could try this version of xcompmgr:
>
> http://git.icculus.org/?p=dana/xcompmgr.git;a=summary
>
> I fixed some memory leaks in it, and I'm not sure how much of it has
> made it upstream.
>

>>  Anyone else using compositing OK with openbox?
>>
>> --

I use compositing sometimes, there are still not many options, dana's
version of xcompmgr probably being the better of them.  Nvidia drivers
do not play well with xcompmgr at all. the nouveau driver works much
better, but they are no where near as advanced when it comes to games
and stuff.  I have to admit that the more recent versions of xorg seem
to be much improved working  with composite.

My laptop has a much older ATI card using the free drivers and it runs
perfect with composite, pretty much identical to without running a
composite manager, but my much newer  desktop with nvidia drivers
struggles more, in all fairness my desktop resolution is much higher,
but it ran so bad i don't even consider running xcompmgr with it.

David