Stability

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Thu Oct 16 04:23:54 EDT 2008

Christophe B <cb2 at cegetel.net> writes:

Please do not send HTML.

> That's what I did first, but there is an annoying bug with metacity:
> for instance, when the user is in thunderbird and click on a link, a
> new firefox window is created but, often, this new window does not
> appears on top but behind thunderbird (which is very confusing for this
> person).

My wife is a similar person. She's running vanilla Fedora 8 w/o
any problems.

There are two reasons I can think of that a newly popped up FF window
disappears behind TB: when you click on a link, and before the FF
window appears, click again, the latter click will be taken as a
signal to raise the TB window, obscuring the FF window. This can
easily happen if the FF window takes to long to appear. The other
reason could be that you have selected focus follows mouse policy
(which I assume you did not).

In either case: teach the person to observe the bottom task bar, since
that will show the possibly hidden windows.

-- Johan