[openbox] focus followMouse issues with vmware

Keith W n4phth4 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:42:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Mike Hokenson <openbox at gozer.org> wrote:
>  I'm not sure if anyone here is a vmware user, but I just noticed that if
>  you're using followMouse and attempt to focus a window that's sitting on
>  top of the vmware guest OS window, it won't get the focus.

Yep, I use vmware extensively at work.  My desktop has a bastardized
RH AS 4 install with Openbox 3.4.5 that I built a long time ago, and I
use VMware Workstation 6.0.3 to run an XP guest for my MS work stuff.
Although I don't use FollowMouse personally, I flipped it on w/ Obconf
and was able to duplicate this no problem.

I have this very Firefox window laying on top of Workstation with just
a sliver of the guest OS exposed (it has VMware Tools installed). Just
as the mouse passes from FF into the guest, Workstation gets focus; if
I move the mouse back to FF, it does not receive the focus.  If I move
the FF window so it's still on top of Workstation but the guest OS
isn't exposed (i.e. I only have the top button bar of Workstation
exposed) then as I move the mouse back and forth from FF to WS the
focus changes as it should.  So yes it has something to do w/ how the
guest is grabbing the mouse that is confusing OB.

Keith