[openbox] Refugee

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Jul 11 16:30:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:13:01 +0100
Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:

> Around about 10/07/07 21:18, Folderol typed ...
> > I'm a refugee from Acorn Risc Os, and quickly settled on OroboROX as
> > having all the best usability features of the Acorn WIMP. I was also
> > pleased to be able to add a few enhancements to OroboROX. However,
> > this sadly now seems unsupported.
>
>    How long did you hang on with RiscOS for?  I'm afraid I gave in back in
> 2000 ...

I emigrated to Linux for Internet stuff about 2000, and gradually
dropped other apps as I found Linux alternatives. The last one was !draw
about 2 years ago when I discovered Inkscape. I still have a Risc PC
but only occasionally switch it on to recover archive files. One day
I'll convert the lot and finish with the old girl :/

> > Now moving on, I very much like openbox and the way it seems to be
> > going. I would have liked to be able to add enhancements, but having
> > looked at the code it seems a bit more obscure than OroboROX is, as uses
> > features of C I'm not familiar with, so I'll probably have to take a
> > back seat :(
>
>    C's practically assembler, what features are new to you? ;)

It seems there is a lot of 'processing' that can be done inside an 'if'
statement that I don't understand, as part of the query itself. No
doubt this makes the code more efficient but it makes it *much* harder
to work out what is happening :(

>    I shouldn't really comment, I've not dug into the ob code as yet.
>

>    You mention fiddling with the edge sensitivity widths:  what options are
> they?  Would that allow me to widen the edge pick-up area?  It seems to be
> only a couple of pixels ATM which I keep missing!

This is one thing my suggestion would take care of. At present I have
edited my fav. theme directly to increase borders to 3 pixels. This
works, but of course increases the width of *all* borders and makes the
theme look a bit clunky. I would like to see actual defined, themeable,
drawn edges.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk