[openbox] idesk

David Courtney blixel at gmail.com
Sat May 27 14:18:56 EDT 2006

> > Well, if you want a really easy-to-use desktop, why don't you try
> > Nautilus or Rox?
>
> As I understand it, Nautilus draws the desktop in such a way that you
> can't get to the Openbox menu by clicking on the desktop. This may or
> may not matter to Mike Obrien, of course, since he wants icons on his
> desktop. If he still wants to get to his menu, he might be better off
> with Rox. I had thought that iDesk was a dead project, to be honest.

My "desktop" is always covered with windows.  So I don't find having
icons on the root window to be all that useful myself.  But if you
just want something like quick launch access to your programs, I think
having wmdrawer in your dock is really good for that.

http://people.easter-eggs.org/~valos/wmdrawer

The drawer slides out in any direction you choose.  (Up, down, left,
or right.)  Aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion.)  Very
configurable.  You can have 1 row of say 5 or 6 icons, 2 rows of 10 ,
3 rows of 15, etc...  Run multiple instances of wmdrawer to have more
than one drawer.