[openbox] icons in menu

Michael M. openbox at writemoore.net
Sat Feb 25 18:52:57 EST 2006

Artyom Mirgorodsky wrote:
>>Some applications icons are really not nice. And,
>>well, with a good ob theme, the menu can be nice enougth without icons.
>>Like, for exemple (just an simply exemple) :
>>http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gkrellshoot0210062223399zj.jpg
>

> May by the menu can be nice enougth without icons.
> I has only one reason to add icons to menu - is easy to find applicatin that
> you want to run in list.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you.  But for Openbox's menu, I don't
think having icons is very helpful.  It is very helpful in Gnome
(Metacity)/KDE (kwin) types of menus.

Right now, icons appear in the "Desktops" menu, that lists all running
applications on each desktop.  I like having the icons there because it
is a quick visual reminder that I'm looking at a list of *running* apps,
rather than all the apps that appear in the other menus.  If you put
icons by all the applications, you lose that distinction because
everything will have an icon, whether it is running or not.  Personally,
I like it the way it is.

But my menus are fairly small because I really don't run very many
different apps on a regular basis.  The only large menu I have is the
auto-created Debian menu, which is very comprehensive, but I only use it
when I need to launch something I don't run very often.  I can
understand how you would feel differently if you have lots of items in
the menus you use regularly.

It's great that you are willing to make the effort, anyway. :-)

--
Michael