[openbox] Why don't use xpm files?

Doug Whiteley rezza at neowin.net
Fri Mar 18 13:41:05 EST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:04:02PM +0000 or thereabouts, David Barr wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 10:36 -0800, Aaron Gyes wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 10:28 -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > > (why everyone thinks openbox should be turned into fluxcrap, I'll never
> > > understand... they should just use fluxcrap)
> >
> > To be fair, there are many window managers out there that use pixmaps
> > other than fluxbox.
> >
> > Now while I probably wouldn't use them, because I'm lazy, I could see
> > them being very useful if one wanted to make a theme that is slightly
> > beyond simple in Openbox.
>
> i can't see how this would make any significant difference and would
> create incommensurable theme files that would not be able to be used by
> anyone equally using openbox; this would be confusing and annoying. Any
> xpms would suffer the same problem with scaling and font sizes that the
> xbms do anyway. xbms are fine; they work. if this was xbms vs pngs, i
> could at least see what the problem was, xbm vs xpm is pointless - the
> payoff is minimal at best and would probably produce even uglier themes
> anyway, i don't see any one making any new themes anyway?

Perhahps the reason nobody makes themes for openbox anymore (well, at least not
many) is *because* they see the theming engine as limited, and don't think they
can get any more out of it? I'm a huge fan of openbox, but I know a couple of
people who used to be relatively prolific when it came to creating themes for
it and they have pretty much all stopped by now. After all, there is only so
much you can do with gradients and lines.

I'm not saying openbox should aim for png support in its themes, or even for
xbm support (I agree with you about xbms at least), its just silly to say "well
nobody makes themes any more so it would be a waste of time to give some more
theming options" when the reason nobody makes themes is the lack of anywhere to
go with them.

> all the love in the world,
>
> David

PS I know this was an old posting, I just decided to write a reply only now ;)

--
Doug Whiteley