[openbox] OB very slow to open over GNOME

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Jun 15 18:24:09 EDT 2005

LostSon schreef:

> LostSon wrote:

>>Just out of curiousity why are we trying to use Gnome with openbox as
>>the WM and then turning off Nautilus
>>as well. ??
>>
>>--
>>LostSon
>>
>>http://www.lostsonsvault.org
>>
>>Public Key
>>http://www.lostsonsvault.org/dls/lostson.asc
>
> Whoops i didnt quite phrase this right at all. My main ideas was is why
> run gnome at all why not jsut use
> openbox by itself. For instance i use openbox by itself with pypanel and
> thats about it.
> - --
> LostSon

Well, in my case, that's what I just switched from doing, and what I
would say I "normally" do (if anyone cared to ask). What's different
about this system (new Gentoo install after I broke my last one) is that
I'm using the tray a *lot*. Tray applets (mail notification or gnubiff,
kwikdisk), apps that minimize to tray (azureus sometimes, krusader) and
I've been experimenting with alltray for everything else. Pypanel is not
handling this well at all. Maybe it's that pypanel's tray implementation
is not robust, maybe it's a bug; I can't tell. fbpanel wasn't much
better, I can't get perlpanel to run, f*cking small panel doesn't
support transparency, and I am *not* going to run kicker. So I thought
I'd try gnome-panel to see if it would work better, but-- as mentioned--
gnome-panel is one of those GNOME apps that works a whole lot better
under GNOME than not. So that's how I wound up here.

But it's good to hear that about gnome-session; I'd be ok with running
just that and the panel under pure OB, now that I have some assurance
that that constitutes a sufficient GNOME backend for most GNOME apps.

Holly