[openbox] Xcompmgr works for me

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Wed Sep 22 06:37:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, eminem Stan wrote:

> I have been following the discussions and while I can confirm how openbox
> acts when xcompgr is started, I think it relates to the way xcompmgr works is
> not the least bit a fault of openbox's.
>
> What I want to say is when xcompgr creates another screen, does compositing
> off-screen and then draws to that screen. Of course all of the apps you
> already started had been mapped to the old screen and dissappear when you
> switch to the new one.
>
> I have read something of the sort and vaguely remember it. However as proof
> that this is the case, I start xcompmgr with my autotstart apps right after
> openbox. ( I use ROX-Session you can use anything else ). This way openbox
> starts mapping to the new screen, and all your windows will appear and you
> will have all the effects you like.
>
> I hope this helps.

I don't feel so motivated to work on composite features right now, but i
will of course accept patches if they are good. Does anyone know if
geforce 2 mx cards are supposed to be accelerated with RenderAccel on?

> On a side-note one of my friends and I have some code patch that fix the way
> openbox deals with arabic UTF-8 letters, adding bidi and shaping/joining. It
> uses only glib and fribidi and is optional so it won't bloat code for those
> who don't need it. Tell me if you are interested.

What i would like is something that lets openbox draw characters in other
fonts than the one chosen in the theme if they don't exist there. Please
post the patch you have so we can look at it.

--
Mikael Magnusson