[openbox] Images in the menu

Tero Grundström tero at vuosaari.hai.fi
Sat Oct 30 20:56:15 EDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Lucas Hazel wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 05:08:14 +0200 (CEST)
> Mikael Magnusson <mangosoft at comhem.se> wrote:
>
> > Bloody sod off then.
>
> At the risk of appearing to have an "attitude problem" I totally agree.
> The fact that openbox doesnt have all that extra crap (panels, toolbars,
> purple monkey dishwashers) is why I like it so much.
>
> "PS. I really hate the "send your patches" and other elitistic comments
> that seems to plague this list..."
>
> It appears you don't fully understand the ideals of the opensource
> movement

Yes the "ideals".. there are so many... even in opensource movement.
Can you understand that?

>, sure it might be fun to sit in a darkened room bitching about
> openbox's lack of features and development speed (or lack there of)

We must have a totally different idea of fun then...

> but
> like most people I'm sure Mikael has a Real-Life___ and sending the patch
> is a much quicker way to get a feature added, rather than waiting for
> someone to do it for you (hell, you might even learn something).

Well I definately would and should learn something, before I'd be able to
send a single patch, because I'm not a programmer. But this doesn't make
it wrong for me to express opinions, feature requests or bug reports.

The point is that for all software, closed or opensource, there are
the ones who use it and the ones who develop. This is the way /it is/ and
the way it will /always/ be, *like it or not*. This is a widely accepted
fact in opensource community too, IMHO. But surely opensource has also the
advantage that everybody skillfull enough *can* take part in the
development, speeding it up.

It is also a fact that wide *user* base is the single and only reason
Linux is talked in the press and feared by Microsoft... Linux developers
need users just like users need developers.

Why would, for example, Linux kernel be still developed without *users*?
For the "handfull" of devs?

How on earth, would we have such a wide support for hardware without the
*success* Linux now enjoys?

How much more bugs would the kernel have without the bug reports of
*users* (many of whom can't code a single line).

You see we are *all* important for Linux and other software as a whole.

BTW, <if I would send Magnusson a patch for a improvement I like, I'm
pretty sure he would not add it to openbox mainline. Openbox seems to be
considered "perfect", hence no new releases in a long time. So what would
be the point of sending patches?

--
T.G.