[openbox] LIGHT arabic patch

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Sun Oct 17 22:12:17 EDT 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let me 1st introduce myself, I'm Mohammed, I wrote the initial patch.
>
> Yes pango is using fribidi, Pango has a stripped down version of fribidi
> to do the shaping. I still don't know how bidi is done.
>
> When I wrote the initial patch, I didn't want to add a huge dependency
> as pango, And at the same time, I didn't know much about openbox
> internals. And we wanted to cook something fast to support Arabic as it
> was the primary goal.
>
> But I think that using pango is a nice idea, So openbox'll support most
> scripts out there, Not just Arabic, But I may need someone to guide me
> through the openbox internals.
>
> Also while we are at the point, Why not also draw the menus with pango ?
> I think this can help in i18n and/or l10n.

Openbox uses the same functions to draw all text, so if you fix that,
everything will use it probably.

> So it's OK for me, I can try to rewrite the patch to use pango, Let me
> be honest, I didn't do anything with pango before, So I may not succeed,
> But I'll try hard, And probably I'll need help!

As you may or may not know, I didn't write most of openbox, but i picked
up maintainership after ben decided to do "other things", so I'm not very
acquainted with the font functions myself, I've mostly looked at the logic
parts so far. I'll try to help if I can. If you use IRC, it's #openbox on
irc.oftc.net for faster replies most of the time.

--
Mikael Magnusson