[openbox] LIGHT arabic patch

Mohammed Sameer uniball at gmx.net
Sun Oct 17 22:01:56 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 03:42:39AM +0200, eminem Stan wrote:
> Well no not anymore, pango just needs glib, freetype and Xlib stuff, nothig
> out of the ordinary.
> As to rendering arabic webpages, it's easy if you have the fonts. It's
> simpler than chinese or thai, I read they have to go through lot's of
> trouble to render correctly.
>
> What you would notice is that while viewing an arabic webpage, openbox's
> titlebar will show the arabic, unshaped ( individual letters, not joined )
> and the opposite way round ( Left to Right , while the correct is Right to
> Left ).
>
> I'll try to get Uniball here before this conversation get's over my head.
>
> >I just think if we're going to get extra dependencies, it might as well be
> >something that can draw everything, not just arabic. I googled a bit but
> >didn't put much effort into it, and it seems pango used fribidi at one
> >point, does it still do that? I have pango but not freebidi and it seems i
> >can view arabic webpages, but then again, I'm not exactly sure how it's
> >supposed to look :).

Hi,

Let me 1st introduce myself, I'm Mohammed, I wrote the initial patch.

Yes pango is using fribidi, Pango has a stripped down version of fribidi to do the shaping. I still don't know how bidi is done.

When I wrote the initial patch, I didn't want to add a huge dependency as pango, And at the same time, I didn't know much about openbox internals. And we wanted to cook something fast to support Arabic as it was the primary goal.

But I think that using pango is a nice idea, So openbox'll support most scripts out there, Not just Arabic, But I may need someone to guide me through the openbox internals.

Also while we are at the point, Why not also draw the menus with pango ? I think this can help in i18n and/or l10n.

So it's OK for me, I can try to rewrite the patch to use pango, Let me be honest, I didn't do anything with pango before, So I may not succeed, But I'll try hard, And probably I'll need help!

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.