[openbox] [OT] utility to group together (NOT tab) multiple windows ?

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 13:43:37 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 10:29 +1000, Lucas Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:23:15 +0200
> Marco Molteni <molter at tin.it> wrote:
>
> > I would like to "group" together multiple windows, in a sort
> > of "container" window. I am _not_ looking for tabbing or xembed,
> > I want all the windows to be visible at the same time:
>
> I've wanted to see this feature in a WM for quite some time, The way I
> envisioned it was that if windows were 'touching' eachother you could
> send a command to 'glue' them together and moving one window would
> also move the rest.
>
> In fact I think I have seen this being done, in another WM
> already...anyone?

I think e16.x can do this, it has a windows grouping thinger in teh
menu, imho i think it is done in a rather obtuse fashion. i've never
really understood how it works, but i think it sort of does what you
want. i remember some idle gossip about this potentially being on the
openbox todo list, but that may be a LIE.

> I'm in no way suggesting this needs to be implemented in openbox, I just
> find the idea very interesting.

i don't understand this feature unless you had a really huge screen or
xinerama, so yeah ok i see how it could be useful :)