simulating a mouseover

John Russell jjrussell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 09:17:27 EDT 2004

This question is not actually about openbox, but there was a good
conversation on this list a few weeks ago about automating windowing
tasks with devilspie, wmctrl, xprop, etc. I thought someone might know
this.

I have a Java IM client (Jbuddy) that is the best alternative to
sametime which is my company's corperate IM standard.  This client
sets my state to idle if I am inactive for more than 15 minutes,
however it doesn't measure activity by X usage, but by the last time
my mouse went over the main IM window.... groan.  So If I am working
for a while with this window burried or minimized or something, I am
now idle and everyone assumes I'm not there.

My question is, does anyone know a command that would simulate a
mouseover event?  I wanted to run it in a cron job or something, every
10-15 minutes just to give this thing a prod.  I tried wmctrl -R to
activate the window but that wasn't enough.  The only thing that works
so far is to just run my mouse over the IM window.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help.

John