[ANNOUNCE] Openbox 3.0 Beta4 and ObConf 1.2 out

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Mon Sep 22 04:19:46 EDT 2003

Hey all,

Its time for another beta release already! I hope I don't get a lot of hate
email for this one. ;)

Here's a copy of the release notes for the Beta4 release from the website:

Beta4 is out, more stable than ever! I'd like to formally welcome you all to
the latest episode of Openbox beta freeze breakage.

First off, if you've been tracking these beta releases, I'd suggest you take
a look at the freedesktop.org base-dir specification
(http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/basedir-spec/0.6-onehtml/). Openbox now
adheres to this standard for locating its configuration (rc.xml, menu.xml)
and data (themes) files. This means the default location for the user
specific rc.xml file is ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.

Secondly, the theme file layout has changed slightly. Themes' data files are
now to be located under ThemeName/openbox-3, for example
MyTheme/openbox-3/themerc. This means that Openbox themes no longer need
their own directory and so will be looked for in the global theme
directories, along with GTK+ and other themes. This also means that Openbox
themes can be included in GNOME Meta-themes, if the GNOME people are so
inclined. This means that themes will be looked for in /usr/share/themes,
/usr/local/share/themes, ~/.local/share/themes, and - while not being in the
basedir-spec, but for compatability with current setups - ~/.themes.

The following is a quick shell script to move all your configuration files
and themes over to the new system:

	#! /bin/sh

	mkdir ${HOME}/.config
	mkdir ${HOME}/.config/openbox

	mkdir ${HOME}/.local
	mkdir ${HOME}/.local/share
	mkdir ${HOME}/.local/share/themes

	for i in ${HOME}/.openbox/themes/*; do
	  if test -d $i; then
	    mkdir $i/openbox-3
	    mv $i/* $i/openbox-3
	    mv $i ${HOME}/.local/share/themes/
	  fi
	done

	rmdir ${HOME}/.openbox/themes

	mv ${HOME}/.openbox/* ${HOME}/.config/openbox

	rmdir ${HOME}/.openbox

Outside of the change in where Openbox will find your files, heres a look at
other changes made since Beta3:

    * Add auto-raise functionality with the raiseOnFocus option. It adheres to
	  the focusDelay time delay.
    * Re-added the focusLast option. :-)
    * Renamed the hideTimeout option to hideDelay for consistency.
    * Added schemas for the configuration and menu files to the distribution.
	  Thanks to Peter Chiocchetti for providing these.
    * Added a new gnome-panel-control tool, which allows you to control the
	  GNOME 2.4 Panel in key bindings, i.e. show the run dialog, or pop up the
	  main menu. This was made necessary in 2.4 when key bindings were removed
	  from gnome-panel.
    * Added a MoveResize context for mouse bindings. Actions in this context
	  will be available during an interactive move or resize of a window.
    * Key codes can now be used directly in key bindings instead of using the
	  key's name. They can be specified such as 0x40 or C-A-0x5d (that is: in
	  hexadecimal, with or without modifiers). This is not normally needed and
	  is more difficult to read and maintain, but it is available if you want
	  to use keys that don't have names.

ObConf 1.2 requires that Beta4 be installed in order to build. It contains
updates to match the Beta4 release, as well as some user interface
improvements.

The releases are at:
http://openbox.org/releases/openbox-3.0-beta4.tar.gz
http://openbox.org/releases/obconf-1.2.tar.gz