[openbox] openbox 3.0 suggestions

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Sep 18 01:30:27 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Ari Pollak wrote:
> I'm very very impressed with openbox3. It's come a long way since I
> tried openbox3 about a month ago, and I'm now using it as my only WM.
> Two suggestions for features that I've been missing, though (which
> aren't very many, as I'm very happy with the current featureset):
> - In the Desktops menu, you should be able to click the name of a
> desktop to switch to that desktop, like you used to be able to in
> blackbox/openbox.

I think I will address this in beta 4, though not exactly as requested...

> - Window dragging to another desktop. This isn't really imperative
> because of the many shortcuts available, but it's still a nice optional
> feature to have.

A nice one you may not have noticed, if you are moving a window around (drag
the titlebar etc) and hit a shortcut to switch to another desktop directly
(the "Desktop" action, not "DesktopRight" etc) or even use the mouse wheel,
the window will follow you to the desktop.

K, I'm not sure if that was altogether clear, if you didn't understand let
me know and I'll try again :P

While dragging between desktops would be cool, I have not found a way to
integrate it into the openbox3 action system cleanly yet, and so I haven't
looked at code to actually perform the function. Perhaps at some future
date.

Later,
Ben