[openbox] New theme format proposal

Tim Riley tr at slackzone.org
Sun Sep 7 04:36:03 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 18:36, Ben Jansens wrote:
> > >You are proposing that the disabled menu item have its own texture a la
> > >the selected menu item?  Why do you think this is necessary?
>
> I disagree with this change. Currently the background is applied to the
> entire menu, behind all the items, not on a per-item basis. Only the
> selected item gets its own texture, and I agree with that.

Likewise.

> > >Aren't menu items, by nature, unselected?   Why do you think this added
> > >qualifier is needed?
> >
> > It was my opinion that 'items' referred to all the items in the list and
> > that they had two states: selected and unselected, and having them as
> > menu.items and menu.selected didn't make much sense to me. I considered
> > renaming to menu.selected and menu.unselected but that might cause
> > further confusion.
>
> I agree with having both selected and unselected. While one may be default,
> they are both states in which the menu items exist, and specifying both is
> more clear.

It could possibly cause confusion as to whether the unselected
properties are applied on a per-item basis.  You mentioned previously
(this is in the previous block of quoted text) that the background is
applied to the entire menu and not to each item.

> I like bg.color also. The texture is also the bg though. This is alluded to
> further on in the previous email, but I think the texture deserves the .bg
> class also.
>
> The .fg qualifier may do more damage than good for clarity. It is indeed
> consistant, but I'm not sure which is more important.
>
> ...label.text.color could also work to replace current textColor.
> ...label.text.font might also be nicer.

Nice.  I would be happy with this.

> > >Since the justification refers only to the foreground, shouldn't it be
> > >menu.title.fg.justify?
>
> menu.title.text.justify is nicer here also, perhaps that isn't such a bad
> idea :)

I'd be happy with this too.

> I actually want to take this in a very different direction. I think focus
> state belongs much higher in the 'heirarchy'. Everything about the window's
> decorations' appearance depends upon the focus state of the window. This
> should be represented by having properties such as:
>
> window.focus.title...
> window.unfocus.title...
> window.focus.label...
> window.unfocus.label...
> window.focus.button...
> window.unfocus.button...
>
> The only thing that slightly irks me here is the word "unfocus". I don't
> really like "blur" either though.
>
> As well, the menu properties use "menu.items.selected", but these do not
> use "focused". Difference tenses. And shortening both of these would be
> appreciated. :)

How about "active" and "inactive?"  This could work for both windows and
menu items.

- Tim