[openbox] Announcing bgmenu for openbox

Michael Rasile keeper at neo.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 00:46:54 EDT 2003

On Sun Sep 07, 2003 at 11:59:21AM +0930 or thereabouts, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 13:20, Michael Rasile wrote:
> > Greetings!
> > My apologies for being so vague. What I don't understand is the format for
> > the line that goes in the menu.xml:
> > <menu id="bg-menu" label="Backgrounds" execute="/location/of/bgmenu.rb"/>
> >
> > I put this line, changing the /location of bgmenu.rb, of course, to point to
> > the script, into my menu.xml.  Should the line be exactly as you state it.
> > That is, is it in the correct format and should I type it exactly as you
> > gave it. There are no errors to report because nothing shows up in the menu
> > to execute. Also, just exactly what should go in the ~/.openbox/bgmenurc. I
> > found that a little confusing: /directory/of/images mode. Should that be:
> > ~/.openbox/backgrounds full. Sorry, but I find the new format for ob3 a
> > little more complex than ob2. I suppose I should just continue to use ob2,
> > but it bothers me that I can't get your script to work. It certainly is not
> > the fault of the script. If I could at least get the item Backgrounds to
> > show up in my menu, I would be happy. :-) Also, which menu should I be
> > editing, the one in /usr/local/share/openbox or ~/.openbox/menu.xml??
> > I hope I've explained this clearly. If not, thanks for taking the time to
> > respond.
> >

> The line to go in your menu (as Marius stated in his mail in this
> thread), should be like this:
>
> <menu id="bg-menu" label="Backgrounds" execute="bgmenu.rb"/>
>
> However, you must specify the full path to bgmenu.rb.  For example, I
> keep that script in my ~/.openbox/bin directory.  So, I have this in my
> menu.xml file (inside my root menu):
>
> <menu id="bg-menu" label="Backgrounds"
> execute="~/.openbox/bin/bgmenu.rb"/>
>
> You should just change the contents of the 'execute' property to reflect
> wherever you have put the bgmenu.rb script.
>
> Secondly, yes, "~/.openbox/backgrounds full" would be a valid line in
> your bsetbgrc, assuming that directory actually exists.
>
> To check if the bgmenu works, you can just run its on its own, like
> this:
> ./bgmenu.rb
>
> If the output looks like a lot of XML, then it is  working fine, and you
> should have no problems seeing it in your menu.  However, if an error
> message appears, or no XML, post it here and we can solve you problem.
>
> One thing to note is that you can't have any blank lines in your
> bsetbgrc file.  This is a bug which I will need to fix, but you can work
> around it by simply deleting any empty lines in that file.
>
> May your box always be open,
>
> Tim

Tim,
Thanks, my box is finally open. Your info on the menu.xml solved the problem
and it words. Thanks. However, some of my backgrounds do not go to full
screen and are messed up. I normally use Esetroot -s. Should I change the
<execute bsetbg to Esetroot in the bgmenu.rb file? Also, I don't have a
bsetbgrc. Where should that go? Most of the problems are solved. Any more
suggestions re the background images not being full screen will be
appreciated.

--
Regards,
Mike