gnome-panel PagerApplet hates me.

Roland Glenn McIntosh roland at steeltorch.com
Fri Oct 17 12:45:52 EDT 2003

Hi.  I have a weird problem which may not be ob3's fault, but perhaps some of you might have experienced a similar issue.  I've been using ob3 for a couple of weeks now, and it's coming along nicely.  I have what I consider to be a typical .xinitrc file:

  display -window root ~/pics/backgrounds/Crystal-1280x1024.jpg &
  gnome-panel --disable-sound &
  xautolock -time 20 -locker "xlock +usefirst -lockdelay 10" &
  exec openbox3

That's the relevant parts.  When I type "startx" at the prompt, gnome-panel's pager applet bitches at me with a message like this:

	The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFID:GNOME_PagerApplet"
	Details: Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

	Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
		[ X Don't delete ]    [Delete]

The weird thing is, if i start an xterm, kill gnome-panel, and run gnome-panel --disable-sound & manually, it works without a hitch.
Does anyone know why this is?  I'm running gnome-panel from gnome 2.4 (gentoo ~x86 portage).

-rgm