[openbox] Background

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 04:29:17 EST 2003

Dhakela Z Nekudichny wrote:

>Hey,
>I saw an old mail about this problem with setting the background in
>openbox3 but the answer wasn't really an answer to the question. Isn't
>it kinda stupid to not even use the old rootCommand:
>function? How should people that only are using openbox be able to use a
>background without setting it manually?
>If anyone knows a way I'll be glad to be informed.
>
>Peace,

Just because you don't like or understand something it doesn't make it
stupid does it?

If you run a session manager (gnome-session) and (in gconf-editor) tell
nautilus not to 'show_desktop' and uncheck 'add_to_session' (so
basically kill nautilus) but for gnome to 'draw_background' for you,
then voila a changable background, which you can set in the control
center or, if you are still a luddite, setting a gconf key on the
command line, isn't that nice? Doesn't it sound like a job a
session-manger should do rather than the window-manager?