[openbox] Old Menus to the 3.0 syntax?

Marc Wilson msw at cox.net
Sat Nov 15 00:48:31 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 01:06:09AM +0100, Bartosz Oudekerk wrote:
> Now I just have to figure out how to split my menu up into several sub-menu
> files.

I thought about it, and decided it wasn't worth the effort.  If you want to
nest menus, just include them one within the other.

This is how an include works:

<menu id="debian-menu" label="debian">
  <file>/etc/X11/openbox/openbox-menu.xml</file>
</menu>

and then inside the root menu, just use the declared identifier:

<menu id="root-menu" label="mwilson @ rei">
  <menu id="debian-menu" />
</menu>

Of course, you can include whatever else you want in your root menu besides
the Debian one (or not include the Debian one at all, if you don't use
Debian ^_^ ).

If you want to nest them:

<menu id="apps-menu" label="applications">
  <menu id="bottlerocket-menu" label="bottle rocket">
    <menu id="couch-menu" label="couch">
      <item label="on">
      </item>
      <item label="off">
      </item>
    </menu>
  </menu>
</menu>

Kind of contrived, but it should get you going.

--
 Marc Wilson |     The meek shall inherit the earth; but by that time
 msw at cox.net |     there won't be anything left worth inheriting.