Ahhh it feels good to not be vaporware! (Openbox-3.0-alpha1 released!)

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Sun Jun 29 05:08:41 EDT 2003

The long-awaited Openbox3 series has finally hit the shelves (sort of).
This is the first alpha release, and I expect to do 3 or 4 before
considering the 3.0 release.

Openbox3 is a completely new window manager, and is not based upon any
previous window manager code-base. Its primary goals are standards
support/compliance, and intelligent window management (without getting in
the way).

If you are an Openbox2 user, please to not place expectations that Openbox3
will be everything Openbox2 was. It won't. Hopefully you will like the
changes, and of course I'd be interested to hear what you do and do not
like.

Documentation for configuring Openbox3 is sorely lacking yet, which I hope
to have repaired before making the 3.0 release. That said, there is a
reasonable default rc3 (the config file) installed that you can use as a
template to make your own. As well, my rc3 is available at
http://xor.orodu.net/configs/rc3 for further
examples. Make sure you copy the rc3 file to $HOME/.openbox before editing
it, or you'll lose your changes the next time you upgrade.

Any bugs found should be reported via the usual channels
(http://icculus.org/openbox/occy/bugs.php), and any
suggestions and comments would be welcome on the mailing list.

Let the good times roll!

Ben