Java Swing apps slow with Openbox 3?

Alexander Futasz acid.punk at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 07:57:01 EDT 2003

Hi there,

I'm seeking for somebody that could verify a problem I'm experiencing
here. I use jEdit, an editor written in Java and when started it takes a
lot more time till it is completey drawn and you can actually use it.
CPU Usage does not seem to be unusual high while waiting. The same
problem continues as soon as the file dialog or any other jEdit window
is opened. It almost always takes a lot of time, only sometimes, very
rarely the window is right there. I'm talking about a very noticeable
amount of time it takes longer to open these windows than with Openbox
2. I already shared my problem in #openbox on IRC, but nobody had Java
apps around to try them, so this is why I'm writing here. If anybody
could try Jedit with Openbox 3 and compare it to Openbox 2, that would
be great.

Some more details about what software runs here:
xfree-4.3.0
nvidia-glx-1.0.4363
nvidia-kernel-1.0.4363
sun-j2sdk-1.4.1