toggle xinerama

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 08:12:28 EST 2003

This isn't strictly an openbox question, but I think it has to do, at
least in part, with the window manager and I've seen xinerama topics
here before....

I am now quite happily using xinerama with openbox on my laptop to
spread the desktop over my laptop LCD and an external CRT.  It works
very well.  However, being a laptop, I would like to pick it up and go
elsewhere sometimes.  As you can imagine, when i undock, half of my
screen goes away with the monitor.

Is there any way to toggle xinerama off in the middle of an x session
without logging out and starting again with a different XF86Config file?

Thanks.

Also, as a side note, a work around I wanted to try was to have a
gnome-panel workspace-switcher on my laptop monitor so that I could see
what windows where on the other side of the screen and drag them over to
the laptop side with the workspace-switcher.  However, the switcher on
seems to be able to move windows from one desktop to another, not to
move them elsewhere on the same desktop.  Is there any way to do what
I'm describing?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
John Russell