[openbox] panel / window decoration

smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 9 16:50:43 EDT 2003

* Christian von Mueffling (cvm at aiss.de) wrote:
> So far i'm using icewm and I like the slim panel, with mailbox state,
> date/time, cpu load and the desktops. Is something like that also
> possible with openbox? As far as i have seen, the toolbar of openbox
> is not really customizable, right? And I don't like the typical
> dockapps since they are normaly overloaded and simply take to much
> space on the desktop.

That isn't available directly with openbox. However, openbox has been
designed to follow various standards that let it interopeate. Is the
icewm toolbar a separate program? If so, you might be able to use it
with openbox. Also, Ben has written a handy dockapp called docker
(available from the website) that will dock Gnome2 and KDE3 docking
applications into openbox's slit. Finally, you can use KDE's or
Gnome's panel in openbox.

> Also in icewm it is possible to define for a specific window class
> things like if the decoration is shown or if it will be ignored when
> going to NextWin/PrevWin. Is something like that possible with
> OpenBox?

Not really. Openbox3, which isn't expected to be complete for a while
now, should be able to do this. So if you stay tuned you may be more
pleased.

--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers