[openbox] menu format bummy

smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 9 13:48:11 EDT 2003

To bring this in accordance with the Law of Email Subject
Descripionality here's my rough thoughts on menu format bummy:
example:

menu "root" {
     subMenu "terminals";
     subMenu "wooby's k-rad styles";
}

menu "wooby's k-rad styles" style-type;

menu "terminals" {
     execute "aterm";
     execute "aterm -e su";
     spacer;
     subMenu "something defined in someothermenu.menu";
}

include "someothermenu.menu";

Notes:
 - Subject to change. Offer void where prohibited.
 - Menus are registered with names to identify them through the action
 interface. This provides access to all the menus through the
 keyboard.
 - There won't be submenu nesting in the menu format. You can still
 define more than one menu in a file, but each menu NAME {} block is
 flat. This speeds up the refreshing of updated menu files a little
 bit, and makes a few things easier.
 - Menus can also have types, which are provided by menu type plugins.
 - I'll define later all the different actions that are
 possible. There really aren't that many. Most of the interesting ones
 are provided dynamically through plugins.

That is all. I have to go make lotteries now.
s.
--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers