[openbox] Fireworks

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Wed Oct 16 02:01:11 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:10:21AM -0500, Matt Keadle wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:29:14 -0400
> Scott Moynes <smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> > - It doesn't appear like it'd be too difficult to add translucency to
> >   all textures. I don't know if such a thing would be wanted
> >   though. Seems sort of silly to me.
>
> Openbox is what it is partially because it's fast and liteweight. I tried Waimea and it certainly was flashy, but I didn't appreciate the fact that my cpu would spike to ~40% by moving translucent menus/titlebars/etc around. It's great eyecandy, but I have to keep editing style definitions to make solids, just so I can get some work done. And once you take that candy out of Waimea, there wasn't much more of a point to using it. Add it if you like, but imo it steals a bit from that fast-n-liteweight department.

A definate need if this is added, is a global config option to
enable/disable translucency. That way noone has to edit themes on
their non-p9-5.9GHz machines.

> > - I have a crazy idea to attempt to implement tabbed windows, or
> >   tabbed window-like functionality with a third-party app using
> >   netwm. Maybe it can't be done. Maybe it can. Maybe I will be
> >   kidnapped by billy goats. Two of three options will give me love
> >   from unexpected sources, and I like those chances.
>
> I used Fluxbox for a loooong time and got VERY used to the tabs. I spend time in a handful of different wms, but I always end up back in Flux a lot for those tabs. Flux has tabs, Moz has tabs, now Konq has tabs iirc. I won't say yes to tab development here, but i will to " tabbed window-like functionality". I think there's an opportunity here to devise a new form of tab functionality.

No real comment here, except, plz don't do it the way flux did :>

> > - More stuff. If you have any ideas, slap them on me because I am
> >   sitting in maple syrup, so they are likely to stick.
>
> Always on top! Am I missing something, or is this a difficult thing to do? Show me a box that has something "tab-like" and an always-on-top feature and I'll show you a convert. Currently I'm looking at Pekwm, which has both, but doesn't have anything slit-like for my wmdocapps.

Shrimpx (Marius) has code for this. It'd be good to see that added in
some fashion for the next TESTING release. I, too, would enjoy that ability.

ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.