[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Oct 7 19:08:39 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 05:14:39PM -0500, Ben Jansens and John Eckerdal wrote:

I am replying to both your mails at the same time.

Ben Jansens:
> Openbox 2 uses Xft 1, which is shipped with XFree86 4. Xft 2 is a new
> and different beast, and is not meant to be entire backwards
> compatible i beleive.

John Eckerdal:
> This is an expected error since RH ships Xft2, not Xft1 and also
> Xft2 is not placed in the same directory as Xft1.

These remarks made me take a closer look. In my naivete I thought the
libraries would be supplied by Xft itself, so I only looked at where
Xft put its files. However now I did a 'locate libXft.so' and lo and behold
locate finds the following files:

 /usr/lib/libXft.so.2
 /usr/lib/libXft.so.2.0
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1.2

The first two from Xft-2.0.1 and the second two from XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72.
So Red Hat ships both versions!

Ben Jansens:
> So, this is why its not working. You're trying to make it use Xft2,
> which redhatapparently has moved to before anyone else. See if you
> still have xft stuff around in /usr/X11R6 or if there are other xft 1
> packages. Or, if you do get it to go with Xft 2, let me know. But
> thats why the default build process is not working for you.

*I* am not trying to make it use anything. I first unpacked openbox-2.1.1.tar.gz
and did a standard "./configure, make, make install" and I found the
error in config.log that '/usr/bin/ld could not find -lXft'.
So openbox compiled but without support for xft.

Why did this happen when the standard libXft.so.1's from XFree86 are
available? Are the newer redhat libs interfering in some way?

My question now is: if the "correct" libs are available how can I
go about compiling so that the linker does find them and openbox
compiles with xft support.

John Eckerdal:
> Xft2 works here OK here. The application compiles and runs and the
> fonts looks OK I think. One of the utilities fails to compile though.
> Have not looked into that one.
> Openbox can be installed inspite of this failed compilation.

I might indeed have made an error by not using the correct pair from
'' or ``. I will try again after I send this mail.

If openbox compiles OK with both libs which version is to be prefered?

Alexander