[openbox] window decorations problem...

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Sat Nov 9 19:32:17 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:11:14PM -0600, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
> [Ava Arachne Jarvis - Fri,  8 Nov 2002 02:59:44 PM CST]
> > I think this is an Openbox bug, properly.  I'll need to scope around the
> > source a bit, but gtk_window_set_decorated() calls
> > gdk_window_set_decorated(), which then sets the appropriate MWM hints.
> > Maybe this is conflicting with the NETWM implementation in Openbox?
>
> Dug around a bit more.  :)  Not sure if this is a bug or not, but....
>
> gtk2 sets both NETWM and MWM hints in some cases.  In non-CVS Openbox,
> at least, NETWM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL makes a decorated window no matter
> what in non-CVS Openbox.  Once it's been determined that
> NETWM_WINDOW_TYPE has been set to something (Window.cc, lines 190 -
> 221), Motif hints are ignored.  This includes decorations.
>
> In gtk2, it's encouraged to keep setting window type to normal, but just
> fudge with MWM hints via {gtk,gdk}_set_window_decoration().  I'm  not
> sure if this is "right" or not, since NETWM hints are (according to the
> specs) supposed to replace MWM hints, which is what Openbox does.

You are correct, that is what is happening. This is why:

<from the netwm standard>
Rationale: This hint is intend to replace the MOTIF hints. One of the
objections to the MOTIF hints is that they are a purely visual
description of the window decoration. By describing the function of
the window, the window manager can apply consistent decoration and
behaviour to windows of the same type.

I'm looking at another approach that kinda combines netwm and mwm, but
I'm not sure if it would be right..

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.